MarinTrust Standard Version 2.0
Launch of Version 2.0 of the MarinTrust standard
The launch of Version 2.0 of the MarinTrust standard was an exciting new phase for MarinTrust. From the standards official launch back in September 2009, the MarinTrust standard has grown from strength to strength.
In order to continue the further development of the standard the MarinTrust Governing Body Committee approved the decision to review Version 1.6 of the Standard as a matter of not only good practice and in compliance with ISEAL, but also in order to increase accessibility, maintain credibility and ensure relevancy and a robust standard.
A Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) represented by the different parts of the value chain including marine ingredient producers, feed processors, fisheries and aquaculture standard holders, retailers, fisheries experts and NGOs was selected to revise and produce the new version of the standard. The MarinTrsut Standard Version 2.0 underwent a comprehensive standard development process following ISEAL codes for standard development. Drafts for the fishery criteria together with the fishery assessment methodology only (excluding mixed trawl fishery elements) were prepared and placed in Public Consultation for 30 days in order to seek stakeholder input and to offer those directly and indirectly affected by the proposed new version the opportunity to provide feedback. Parallel to the 1st Public Consultation, the factory audit criteria were being developed and once completed and trialled the 1st full draft of Version 2.0 was agreed and finalised for approval to be placed for a further 60-day public consultation period.
After this stage, the full draft of the Version 2.0 standard was put forward to the MarinTrust Governing Body Committee for agreement and approval for launch on the 18th July 2017 with the intention to start a new full revision in July 2022.
The principal objectives for Version 2.0 were as follows
- To continue to meet the objectives set in the development of Version 1 of the MarinTrust Standard
- To enhance the MarinTrust Approval Criteria for whole fish used as a raw material for MarinTrust compliant production to promote more responsible fisheries management
- To promote more efficient marine ingredients production practices to reduce the environmental impact of the fishmeal and fish oil manufacturing process
- To promote and create improved social and welfare benefits for all workers employed within the marine ingredients manufacturing sector
- To develop this version of the standard to be in compliance with the ISEAL Code of Practice for Setting Social and Environmental Standard v5.0 Version 2
The Main Version 2.0 Key Development Activities Were:
- The MarinTrust Approval Criteria and assessment methodology for raw material fisheries was re-developed in order to incorporate key elements of the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries 1995.
- Additional set of MarinTrust Approval Criteria for raw material fisheries defined as mixed fisheries was developed to determine how they can be reviewed and assessed for used as raw materials for marine ingredient production.
- MarinTrust factory conformance criteria to assess Good Manufacturing Practice was developed and introduced to ensure safe practices are exhibited and to reduce the environmental risk of the production processes.
- A new set of MarinTrust factory conformance criteria that takes into account ILO convention was developed and introduced to assess the social and welfare rights of employees within the marine ingredient producing factories.
Next Proposed Review and Revision
In accordance with the ISEAL Standard Setting Code, MarinTrust shall revise the MarinTrust standard at least once every 5 years. MarinTrust proposes to begin the revision process of this standard by July 2022. The next review of the standard, V2.1, is proposed for the end of 2020 with the intended launch at the beginning of 2021.