The MarinTrust Standard has been developed as a credible, robust tool that enables producers of raw materials in the fishmeal and fish oil industry to demonstrate responsible practice. It was formerly known as the IFFO RS Standard and the IFFO RS Version 2.0 Standard.
MarinTrust holds the biggest share of the market, with more than half the world’s production now MarinTrust compliant. This helps to support sustainable market growth and decrease the industry’s impact on the environment.
The original IFFO RS Standard was launched in September 2009, and the first certificate awarded in February 2010. The Standard has since been regularly revised in compliance with ISEAL requirements. This ongoing process ensures that the Standard remains accessible, credible and relevant to industry needs, and in particularly that the assessment process continues to be robust.
Revisions are undertaken by a Technical Advisory Committee that represents the entire value chain, including marine ingredient producers, feed processors, fisheries and aquaculture standard holders, retailers, fisheries experts and NGOs. Revisions are also subject to a public consultation period in line with ISEAL codes for standard development.
The current MarinTrust Standard is the original IFFO RS Version 2.0 that was launched on 18th July 2017, following approval by the IFFO RS Governance board. The next review of the standard is proposed for the end of 2020, for launch at the beginning of 2121, and a full revision of the Standard will begin in July 2022.
The MarinTrust Standard ensures the following:
- Eradication of Illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing material being used as MarinTrust approved raw material
- Raw materials used in the production of marine ingredients are sourced from responsibly managed fisheries
- Promotion of efficient marine ingredients production practices to reduce the environmental impact of the fishmeal and fish oil manufacturing process
- Safe manufacture of marine ingredients through Good Manufacturing Practice
- Effective traceability systems are in place to ensure that the MarinTrust compliant marine ingredients can be traced back to the approved MarinTrust raw material fishery
- Social and welfare rights of employees in marine ingredient producing factories are protected
Certification against the MarinTrust Standard is achieved through rigorous factory audits and fisheries assessments, and maintained through annual surveillance audits.
Following approval, certified factories are permitted to use the unique certification mark “MarinTrust Assured” to signify compliance and commitment to the MarinTrust Standard.
Full details of the current MarinTrust Standard can be found here.
Full details pertaining to the development and different versions of the Standard can be found here.
To see a full list of current MarinTrust certified plants, click here.
If you have any queries please contact us at email@example.com.