MarinTrust CoC V2.0
The new MarinTrust Chain of Custody standard V2 is now available to view here. The new standard will be effective from 30th November 2020 when applicants and current certificate holders can apply to be certified under the new version. It will be followed by a transition period that will be announced in due course.
Development of the MarinTrust Chain of Custody Standard V2.0
It has been 5 years since the last review and in order to maintain the credibility and relevancy of the marinTrust Chain of Custody Standard, comply with internationally recognised credentials such as ISEAL and ISO 17065 as well as satisfying market requirements, the MarinTrust Governing Body Committee agreed with the proposal to undertake the development of the new MarinTrust Chain of Custody version.
This standard has been developed using a multi stakeholder consultation process with the support of technical experts and consultants. In addition, it has been tested on feed manufacturers, oil refiners, storage facilities and traders in China, Thailand, Peru and Chile to understand what the impact on current certificate holders to the new standard might be. This public consultation period will offer the chance for additional stakeholders to input into the further development of the standard.
The MarinTrust Chain of Custody V2.0 – Key Differences;
- Introduction of new clauses that include supplier approval and monitoring systems including traders, agents / brokers with batch control (KDEs), HACCP/VACCP/TACCP with greater emphasis on material origin.
- Reduced section due to similarities with other clauses in Sec. 1, revised clauses covering mass balance, labelling and segregation in all different activities such as initial storage, processing, final dispatch, final storage, delivery for client, etc
- Introduction of subcontractor criteria - evaluation and documented control of subcontractors, mass balance exercises and product integrity
- Strengthened clauses on the use of the MarinTrust Logo and Claim - label verification and control over the use of the MarinTrust logo or claim
- Introduction of requirements of documented training systems for relevant staff members
The proposed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the development of the new version of the MarinTrust Chain of Custody standard V2.0 opened for a 30 Public Consultation on 18th September 2018, and closed for comment on 18th October 2018. To download the complete ToR, simply visit the downloads section on this page.
The proposed principal objectives for Version 2.0 are as follows:
- To continue to meet the objectives set in the development of Version 1 of the MarinTrust CoC Standard
- To prevent non MarinTrust compliant product being labelled as MarinTrust.
- To ensure that MarinTrust CoC v2 remains relevant, robust and fit for purpose.
The proposed Main Version 2.0 Key Development Activities are:
- To conduct an impact assessment on current MarinTrust CoC Standard holders to determine what affect these proposed new criteria will have on their capability to comply with the new standard
- To develop a new set of MarinTrust CoC conformance criteria to take into account TACCP and VACCP criteria to try and mitigate fraudulent acts and enhance traceability assurance within a supply chain entity
- To develop a new set of MarinTrust CoC conformance criteria to take into account mass balance calculations to verify the volume of certified material as it is processed or handled by the supply chain
- To develop a new set of MarinTurst CoC conformance criteria to take into account better controls on the use of the MarinTrust Logo and claim and the withdrawal of non-compliant MarinTrust complaint fish meal and fish oil
- To develop a new set of MarinTrust CoC conformance criteria to take into account ILO conventions (e.g. 29, 105, 138) to assess the social and welfare rights of employees within the CoC.
- To develop a new set of MarinTrust CoC conformance criteria to take into account the environment impacts (e.g. waste management) of the participating client.
60 day Public Consultation :
MarinTrust invited stakeholders to provide input on the draft V2.0 Chain of Custody Standard which is opened for 60 day public consultation until 21st December 2019. Comments and responses will be made available here.
Approval and Launch :
On 19th May 2020, the MarinTrust secretariat put forward the new V2.0 CoC Standard to the Governing Body Committee who approved the standard for launch in August 2020. A period of transition will be put in place and made available here for all new applicants and current Chain of Custody certificate holders.